NAS INTERACTIVE TIMELINE ↓↓↓
NAS: TIME IS ILLMATIC MULTIMEDIA TIMELINE
The Nas: Time Is Illmatic Timeline is a multimedia rich time capsule that spans forty-years of Nasir Jones history. It includes, photographs, video clips, lyrics, press articles and essays, Twitter messages, and art. The timeline can be used for research or as a teaching tool. Browse it and learn!
HERE ARE FIVE THEMES TO RESEARCH USING THE TIMELINE:
1. GENEALOGY AND FAMILY LINEAGE – Nasir participated in the Finding Your Roots PBS television series hosted by Dr. Henry Louis Gates to learn about his genealogy and family lineage.
Where do Nasir’s ancestors come from?
What is the name of his third great grandmother who was sold to a Southern slaveholder?
2. MUSIC PRODUCTION AND INFLUENCE – On Nasir’s debut album, Illmatic, he worked with five of the best hip-hop music producers.
Name the producers and the songs they produced.
What songs did they sample for each record?
3. BUSINESS VENTURES AND ACHIEVEMENTS – Nasir has created several business ventures since he started his career. He has also received numerous awards for his achievements.
Name five of his companies.
Name the award he received in 2014 for his community impact.
4. POLITICS – Nasir has used his music to highlight different social issues. He has also participated in protests against injustice.
Identify three issues that are addressed in his music.
Nasir recently took to the streets in protest for the Eric Gardner decision. What did he tweet during the protest?
5. EDUCATION – Although Nasir dropped out of high school, he supports and invests in several educational and career development programs.
Which university has named a fellowship after Nasir Jones? For what purpose?
Nasir offers tech scholarships to minorities with Google and Microsoft through a partnership with which New York-based education institution?
The Hip-Hop Education Center is developing the Illmatic Education Curriculum. This online interactive curriculum is the ultimate destination where youth and adults learn about the NAS: Time Is Illmatic movie and Nasir Jones’s music, journey, and legacy. The Illmatic Education High School and College Curriculum is built with students with multiple intelligence, constructivist teaching, and blended learning in mind. For more information, register here: https://hiphopeducation.org/
- Screen the Nas: Time Is Illmatic documentary at your event
Contact Jeff Tamblyn at email@example.com for public screenings.
- Screen the Nas: Time Is Illmatic documentary in your classroom
Contact Roselly Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org for your education copy.
Third World Newsreel
- Become a community partner
Contact: Martha Diaz at email@example.com